Roof leaks in commercial buildings are a common source of costly water damage. While a nonfunctional drainage system is usually the culprit, there are other reasons your building’s roof may leak.
- Open penetrations such as HVAC units, drains, pipes, vents, gas lines, and other systems that come through the roof’s surface.
- Damaged roof flashings installed around chimneys, roof edges, skylights, and interior walls permit water intrusion.
- The leaking roof is old and has outlived its expected 15 to 20 years lifespan.
- A damaged membrane (waterproof layer) can allow water to leak through and damage the underlying insulation.
Reacting quickly to a leaking roof can save you money, extend the roof’s life, and protect adjacent building materials and components.
Minor Roof Leaks Can Lead to Major Damages
Water intrusion can lead to the disintegration of your building’s structure, which can then lead to costly repairs and replacements. All our waterproofing methods are designed to keep water out of your commercial structure.
Signs of water leaks include:
- Water spots, discolored areas on walls and ceilings, and damp patches.
- Decaying or stained facade.
- Decreased energy efficiency of the building.
- Peeling paint around openings like dormer windows or skylights.
- Musty smell, especially on upper floors.
- Noticeable water leaks during heavy rain or snow.
Another serious problem caused by water intrusion is mold, which can begin to grow in as little as 24 hours in insulation, on ceilings and walls, and elsewhere. Working in a commercial building with a mold problem can cause serious health issues for tenants, including wheezing, itchy eyes and skin, sore throats, and respiratory problems like a stuffy or runny nose and coughing.
The consequences of putting off commercial roof repairs can be enormous in terms of damage and costs. That’s because a leak never heals on its own; the damage keeps getting worse. Even a single small leak can lead to severe problems if you ignore it. The damage won’t be to the structure alone, either. If a major catastrophe occurs, one or more floors of the building could be flooded, resulting in damage to electrical equipment, potentially shutting down your business for days or weeks.
Finally, some insurance companies won’t cover the cost of water intrusion damage if the building’s owner or manager put off having a roof leak repaired.
How to Prevent a Leaking Roof and Save Money
How long has it been since you’ve had your building’s roof inspected and maintained by a professional? Preventative maintenance stops water damage and can result in significant savings. Along with not delaying the repair of any leaks, these maintenance tips can help extend the life of your roof and protect it from water damage:
- Get the roof inspected regularly. Most experts recommend at least once a year.
- Don’t walk on the roof unless it’s absolutely necessary. If there’s a reason to be up on the roof, consider having walk pads installed to protect the roof from damage.
- Only hire professionals to detect and repair leaks.
- Keep the roof clean and free from debris. Trash and leaves can be perfect breeding grounds for algae which escalates roof deterioration.
- Make sure any equipment such as HVAC units are functioning properly and aren’t leaking.
Hire a Profession to Fix Roof Leaks
Water leak detection is the best way to locate, diagnose, and repair a leaking roof. Presto Restoration provides comprehensive commercial building leak detection services, including thermal leak detection services for extremely difficult leaks. We also offer leak repair, waterproofing services, and water intrusion detection services that detect the point of water entry and repair the void.
Hiring an Experienced Professional Saves Time and Money
When choosing a leak repair or leak detection service company, it’s essential to work with one that has the advanced knowledge and understanding of the way buildings materials and waterproofing components work together. This ensures the problem is identified and repaired right the first time.
For over 25 years, Presto Restoration has provided water leak and intrusion detection services as well as waterproofing and other commercial building restoration services across the country. If you own or manage a commercial high-rise structure, a multi-family complex, or an historic structure, our professional building restoration services can save you money and ensure your commercial structure has a long, healthy life.
Contact Presto Restoration for a free consultation today.
Call us at 1-800-785-9927 or Request A Quote.