It is important to remove hard water stains from commercial glass because a clean, fresh appearance sets the stage for what visitors and customers can expect inside.
While perfectly clean windows are the dream of every business owner who wants to make a good impression, it is especially challenging to keep commercial glass clean. It often suffers the effects of construction dust, car exhaust, hard water, and a variety of environmental threats. If you own a commercial building, it’s possible to remove stains and restore glass windows and surfaces to like-new condition with glass stain removal services. Removing discoloration and corrosion and adding a layer of protect rejuvenates and extends their life, saving you from costly replacement.
What Causes Commercial Glass Stains?
The most common window stain culprit is water, specifically mineral-laden water that’s been left to dry rather than removed from the glass. The magnesium and calcium in what’s called “hard water” cause the stains you frequently see on commercial buildings. Because glass is porous, it’s important to remove these stains as quickly as possible. Otherwise, these mineral deposits can make their way within the structure of the glass, causing permanent damage and shortening the glass’s lifespan. Stage 1 is typically the result of soap scum on curtain wall systems or lack of proper maintenance. Stage 2 staining is typically found where minerals run down onto the glass from above each time it rains, or bounce onto the glass from a ledge. Stage 3 staining results when windows have a mineral presence above or below, and the windows receive substantial water during weathering run down, sprinkler system overspray, or from some type of building system which sheds water off of the walls. One of the easiest ways to ensure that a buildings windows don’t get stage 3 staining is through careful, considerate maintenance. Depending on the contributing factors, some windows may require maintenance 3 times per year.
How Glass Stain Removal Services Get the Job Done
Cleaning stains from windows is not as simple as wiping them down with soap and water. If the right products and equipment aren’t used, the glass can easily be scratched or damaged. The best way to attack stains on commercial glass is to hire a professional who’s trained and experienced in the restoration and protection of all exterior building surfaces, including glass.
When we first started, the Presto Restoration used all the latest recommended products and techniques for commercial glass cleaning, restoration, and preservation. Over time we became frustrated with how short-lived or ineffective these treatments and techniques were. Some of them were even dangerous to apply. Based on years of experience, we decided to do our research. We eventually partnered with a team of chemical engineers and developed a full line of proprietary glass restoration and protection products. Our exclusive line is designed to fight all exterior building surfaces, including commercial glass windows.
Industry Leading Glass Cleaning Products
When providing glass stain removal services, we use two products to remove stains and other materials from glass surfaces:
- EnviRestore® Glass Stain Remover is a curative cream that does not require machinery and is designed to remove obstinate stains from glass surfaces effectively. The water-based product has a 3-year shelf life and removes common “Stage 1” corrosion as well as stains caused by mineral deposits. Acid-free, it repairs damage from oils, soap scum, adhesives, exhaust fumes, everyday grime and buildup, and other stubborn stains. It’s a cost-effective solution that leaves behind no greasy residue and offers easy clean-up.
- Glass ReSurfacer Final Polish® is the ideal solution for removing concrete, mortar, and other cement-like materials. Its complex polymer technology helps prevent scratching during the restoration process as scrapers are not usually required. Glass ReSurfacer also leaves behind a protective coating that prevents further concrete contamination. The fast-acting, chemist-created solution is a safe alternative to conventional acids and, when used correctly, doesn’t harm glass, caulking, stone, or metal surfaces.
Industry Leading Glass Protection Products
Once stains are removed, we recommend using one of our three glass protection products to extend the life of your windows and other glass surfaces:
- Glass Defender® HD is an invisible, high-performance application that protects the glass from various damages and prevents scratching for up to 20 years.
- Glass Defender® MD performs like our HD product, but protects the glass from damaging elements and prevents scratching for up to 10 years.
- Glass Defender® Primer increases the life performance of Glass Defender MD up to 10 years and Glass Defender HD for up to 20 years.
Innovative Cleaning Equipment
Based on your building and needs, our technicians will use a unique combination of equipment to complete the job. Safety is always their number one priority.
- Aerial work platforms include articulating booms with multiple movable sections, telescopic booms that extend straight out and offer the greatest horizontal reach, and scissor lifts that extend straight up and provide a smaller ground-level footprint.
- Swing stages are suspended from beams and play a prominent role in high-rise glass stain removal services. All of our technicians are trained to safely set-up, operate, and break-down swing stages and control suspended scaffold hazards.
- Rappelling is used when the available space prevents setting up a stage. A Bosun or Boatswain’s Chair is suspended from a rope and allows technicians to access difficult-to-reach areas.
- Cranes with a cage or basket are used when swing stages and rappelling are not an option for hard-to-reach areas. Cranes are often used when working on high-rise buildings with unique or angled rooflines.
For Presto’s technicians, no angle is too difficult and no access point too high. We thrive on challenges!
Hiring a Professional
Presto’s skilled technicians have extensive knowledge and access to a wide range of modern equipment to handle even the toughest glass stain removal jobs no matter the building type. The actual hard cost of hard water stain removal services is, of course, considerably less expensive than replacing the old windows. In most cases, windows can be completely restored for about 20% the cost of replacement. We find that the best time to perform hard water stain removal services is right now. When a potential tenant views a commercial property with hard water stains on the glass, the building looks run down, and the stains present a distraction when looking out of the windows. We have experience restoring the glass on the following:
- High-rise corporate headquarters
- Mid-rise multi-family complexes
- Historic buildings including churches, museums, and municipal facilities
- Hospitals and medical centers
- Retail businesses and shopping centers
- Schools and other educational facilities
You don’t have to live—or work—with hard water spots or other stains on your building’s windows. Professional glass stain removal services can make your windows shine their brightest and look their best.
If you are looking for a glass stain removal expert in your city, we would love to learn more about your project. We recently completed a glass restoration project on a uniquely shaped office building.
Contact Presto Restoration for a free consultation today.
Call us at 1-800-785-9927 or Request A Quote.